Friday, October 15, 2010

Rouladen Recipe

I keep getting requests for my recipes, so I'm just going to start sharing the secrets of my kitchen. Starting with this German dish that is simply wonderful: Rouladen

2-4 thin slices of steak. Now we're talking long and skinny, like a ranch steak.
rice vinegar (just enough to soak meat in overnight)
1/2 cup diced onions
5 tablespoons diced dill pickles
3-4 slices of wheat bread cubed
3 cups chicken stock
1 package lipton onion soup mix
1 package of brown gravy mix
German stone ground mustard (NOT deli style brown mustard)
toothpicks or twine

Marinate your meat in vinegar overnight in a ziplock bag, turning occasionally.

Prepare stuffing:
Mix onions, pickles, and bread, slowly moisten with a little bit of chicken stock.
Mixture should be mushy enough to mold, but not overly soggy.

Spread mustard all over one side of each steak, layer with stuffing, roll and secure meat with toothpicks or twine.

Lightly brown rolls on all sides in skillet using EVOO.
Add remaining chicken stock and Lipton's soup mix, cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
Remove rolls to cutting board.
Stir gravy mix into liquid in pan until thick, this is your gravy.

I like to slice the rolls up into pinwheels and serve over roasted red potatoes or Spaetzle, pour gravy over the top.

Traditionally, Rouladen is a poor persons dish as it uses the cheapest cuts of beef, also it has bacon in the stuffing, I just leave it out. It has become a very popular dish at German festivals and is a change from the better known wursts (German sausages) that are usually served. It is very filling, full of flavor, and inexpensive to make. Most ingredients are things I have on hand, I am half German ya know and pregnant: pickles stay stocked at all times.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i actually try this recipe once when i went to my husband home town ,even tried to cooking it (my mother inlaw thought me) well its very delicous and very tasty meals indeed

    ReplyDelete