Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Best April Fool's Day

Raedin Levi Ralston
April 1, 2007
6 lbs 12 oz 18.5 inches
3 weeks early

It was a great Saturday, March 31, 2007. We had Evelynn's birthday fiesta to celebrate her upcoming 3rd birthday (April 2). The girls were going to spend the night with Uncle Nate and Aunt Camille. Nate and I started to clean up from the wonderful enchilada and pinata disaster that had invaded our apartment. I started to feel a little strange, figured I needed some oreos. Then my back started to hurt, must have been from being on my feet all day. I kept cleaning for awhile until the little girls' room called for me. {TMI coming up!} I did my business and was concerned by some strange discharge. I told Nate about my symptoms and asked what he thought. Now, the entire pregnancy I had complications with Raedin's involuting twin and problems from my pre-existing heart condition and so I was very cautious about anything out of the norm. He suggested I should at least go in to get checked out.

Hopping and skipping we went into Labor and Delivery and requested a quick exam. Routinely they stuck slimy things to my belly and strapped them down. (After making me undress which I felt was totally silly, I would just be there for an hour.) After 15 minutes the nurse asked if I was feeling any pain or discomfort. Me: "No....why?" Nurse: "Because you are contracting regularly."
I was stumped! Really? I didn't feel anything. Nurse: "We'll just watch you for an hour and see if anything changes."

Now sometime later, I'm guessing an hour, she checked my cervix. "You're at a 4...{calls Dr on call}...{Dr on call comes in}..you're staying and having a baby tonight!"

So around 1130 pm we start calling everyone to tell them what is going on. Now, most of my family had just seen us at the party, so NO ONE BELIEVED US. I was 3 weeks from my due date, the last two babies were induced, and it was the night before April Fool's Day. We actually had friends come down to the hospital for proof that I was there!

Long night made short: They hooked me up to pitocin to help things along....I ended up requesting an epidural after 2 hours of that torture. Once I hit a 5 things started to speed up a little, soon I was at an 8 and trying to wake Nate up. He finally came around and we told him I was getting close. Nate: "What was that sound?" Me: "What sound Honey?" Nate:"It sounded like water turning on." I thought it was half asleep. The nurse took a peek under the sheet (the perve) and exclaimed "Oh my! Your water broke and baby is crowning!"

There was a hurrying and a scurrying to get things in place, the doctor didn't even get fully gowned!

Some one {I'm assuming nurse lady} asked me to push with the next contraction.

ONE PUSH.

That was it, one push and he was out. He literally launched himself off my ribcage with one final kick. He flew out so fast the doctor JUMPED BACK a little to avoid the Niagara Falls that came out with him.

I went from 8 cm to him on my chest in 15 minutes.

He was the chubbiest, sweetest little thing I had ever laid eyes on. Nate was beaming and bouncing up and down with new found energy (he was exhausted from all the hard effort).
And to make it worse, no one believed us when we told them his hair was red! Sheesh!

Raedin is the sunshine in our lives, he keeps everyone happy, entertained, and smiling. He is thoughtful, loving, caring, generous, smart, and talented. Raedin is always singing songs, playing "tricks" on us, and gives everyone snuggles whenever we let him. For being the only boy, he is just that: a boy. Trains, cars, dinosaurs they all awe him. He loves to learn and can write down his first name, but spell it and his last name out loud. He knows his ABCs, both upper and lower case!

I could go on and on about this kid. I'm grateful to be his mommy and a non-important holiday is now one of my favorites. Happy Birthday little man!

Raedin in his favorite spot {my bed} with his favorite blanket, his favorite activity {my phone} and with his best friend {his sister Afton}.


1 comment:

  1. How sweet! That IS the best April Fool's Day ever! Man, those 4 years went by fast...

    ReplyDelete