Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ready for spring and vacation!

I found this fabric and just feel in love, it is so hard to find pink/orange/red that looks good on my red headed girls! This combo of coral, pumpkin orange, and rusty red seemed perfect for a little sundress.
Sort of made this one up as I went and I made up my own version of shirring, ok maybe I'm not the first, but sewing with elastic thread scares me and smocking takes too long. I stretched super thin elastic cord, while keeping it lined up, and sewed a tight zig-zag over it. Worked perfectly and didn't take long at all! (Cut the cord the length of chest measurement and the fabric about 6 inches longer).

I've only been sewing since October 2010 and have been self and internet taught, so bare with me if you see repeats of this dress in other fabric.

2 comments:

  1. I think the fabric is awesome and the dress is super cute! The cutie-patootie wearing the dress doesn't hurt either:)
    I don't sew at all, so no judgment from me.
    I came by from Flamingo toes...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you did the shirring! It's AMAZING. I haven't tried to do anything like that yet...I, too, am frightened of elastic thread. You are brave to stretch the elastic. I would be afraid of the needle breaking. I do that a lot as it is... :D

    ReplyDelete