- Baked Penne with Roasted Veggies (with or without Chicken)
- 2 red peppers, cored and cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 2 zucchini cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 summer (yellow) squash cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4-6 cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1-inch strips
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb mix or herbs de Provence
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 3 cups marinara sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup grated smoked mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan, plus 1/3 cup for topping
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE THE CHEESE WITH PRE-SHREDDED ITALIAN BLEND
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
On a baking sheet, toss the peppers, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and onions with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and dried herbs. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for about 6 minutes. Drain. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still hard.
In a large bowl, toss the drained pasta with the roasted vegetables, marinara sauce, cheeses, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix, until all the pasta is coated with the sauce and the ingredients are combined.
Pour the pasta into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and butter pieces. Bake until top is golden and cheese melts, about 20-25 minutes.
I browned some cut up chicken in EVOO and added it in as well, made it stretch just a little farther.
This recipe is by Giada De Laurentiis, she is fantastic and I highly recommend her!